Piedmont Yoga Community offers teacher trainings to show yoga teachers and care givers how to adapt yoga for those with a variety of abilities.
During a typical workshop you can expect to:
- Gain an understanding of and work with the various effects of disability
- Learn some of the language of disability
- Explore the use of props to make yoga poses accessible to this unique population
- Discuss alternatives and contraindications for some yoga practices & poses
- Trauma Informed methods will be covered
- Review the responsibilities of teaching and assisting for those with disabilities
- Observe and practice teaching a yoga class with students with a variety of disabilities
Our next workshop is March 22-24, 2024. Click the button below for more details or to register.
What Students Say About Previous Workshops:
After this weekend, I definitely feel more comfortable working with students with disabilities. The observation and hands-on experiences were invaluable.
Absolutely will recommend to others. The combination of instruction, group exercises, reading materials, videos, and hands-on experiences was fantastic.
I loved getting to see and work with your students.
I appreciated the deep care of the teacher and the nourishing and non-judgmental space created. I learned how to think about poses and yoga in a more accessible way.
JoAnn is a wealth of knowledge, super approachable, and fostered such an open, easy learning environment.I would HIGHLY recommend this course.
And another one from a workshop in Sidup, UK.
I feel so lucky that we had you come and teach us in such an intimate setting in March. Your teaching experience and ability to hold the space for the group is even more apparent now.